Thursday, July 25, 2013

Redbox Instant Review

I'm a BzzAgent and most recent campaign was to try out Redbox Instant. Now anyone can try it for 1 month free, you don't have to be a member of any site to take advantage of the free 1 month trial. You can just go to their homepage to SIGN UP for it.

I've been a fan of Redbox for a while and although I personally have never had an account with Netflix, I have used family members' and friends' accounts and I definitely have been interested in a streaming service. I was very excited to find out Redbox was coming out with their own similar service and I had pretty good expectations for it.

It's only $8 a month which is pretty cheap. You are able to stream movies online and from various devices. I streamed from both my laptop and iPhone 4 with hardly any problems. The only problem I really encountered was on my iPhone and it would just randomly pause during the movie but when I returned to my movie, it was still in the same spot. Also with the ability to stream for various devices you receive 4 DVD credits to use at a Redbox Kiosk. I definitely took advantage all of the credits and had no problems at all using them. I will warn you though that it will still take off the $1.20 or so from your card but once you return the movie, the money goes back on your card.

The movie selection to stream online is ok but could use improvements. There are few newer releases like The Hunger Games but not many. I couldn't even find some popular movies from years ago which was a little disappointing but some of these also can't be found on competitors sites either. I do think if Redbox put more new releases and older box-office hits, they would definitely give Netflix a run for their money. Also they should add t.v. shows at least if they for some reason can't stream the movies people actually would love to stream from such a service. They do have new releases you can stream but at prices like $4.99 I don't think it's worth it when it's cheaper at the kiosk. It may be easier to rent online but if you're like me you try to save money as much as possible and you don't want to pay anywhere near $5 unless it's going to be a great movie.

Overall I did like Redbox Instant but at the moment I just don't see myself continuing a subscription service with them. Until they add more movies or t.v. shows to their library, if I'm going to pay for any streaming service, I'm probably going to go with Netflix. Even though the 4 DVD credits a month are nice, they alone won't make me want to pay for this service. Now make any rental online the same as the kiosk and you may have yourself a lifetime customer and I'm sure others would take advantage of it too.

DISCLOSURE: I'm a member of BzzAgent and I'm not paid by BzzAgent, Redbox, or anyone to write this review. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment